If you are lucky enough to have a garage on your property, you will want to make the most of the space. People use garages for so many different things now – as an extra living room, as a bedroom, as a granny annex, for extra storage, for keeping a car safe – so the key is finding the most useful way for you to use it. Here are some of the things you can do to make sure the space suits you and your lifestyle:
- Install a new door. This has many benefits, some of which are very important. A new door helps to make your garage and its contents secure, and it will also improve the insulation to make your whole garage more thermally efficient. Safety especially isn’t something that should be overlooked, so choose a sturdy and well-made door that uses the latest security methods. If you select a door with an opener, make sure this can only be opened by certain people. You will also be able to select an attractive door that complements you property.
- Waterproof your garage. This means you will be able to keep more items in it without worrying about damp and rot. This is ideal if you tend to use your garage as a storage space rather than as somewhere to keep vehicles.
- Move your appliances outdoors. This will help to free up space indoors and prevent condensation from things like tumble dryers. Just make sure that your garage is fully waterproof and has good electrics installed.
- Convert your garage into part of your home. This can work whether the garage is part of the house or is a separate structure. Consult with a professional to find out about the requirements and make sure you have the correct planning permission.
- Rent the space out. If you don’t use the garage yourself, there will be many people who will! Advertise it online and you should be able to get a good price for the space. If your garage is a decent size and you’re not using all of the space, you could always rent out part of it. If people want to store things like bikes and furniture, they probably wouldn’t want to splash out on a full garage, so this could be the perfect solution.
Garages are a popular commodity that you should make the most of. Follow these tips to really begin using your garage to improve your living space and complement your lifestyle.